Getting your home ready to sell in a sellers market is where you make the big money. The nation is experiencing a sellers market which tempts sellers to put their house on the market before it’s ready. If priced right it will sell. But…
By putting forth some effort and minimal expense you can possibly earn thousands more dollars. Properly preparing your home for market gets you more money, period!
Start with curb appeal to get potential buyers inside. Start off on the right foot by getting buyers excited about a house as they approach. People are forming opinions as they walk up to the front door. These first opinions are crucial.
- Keep grass cut, trimmed and looking good at all times.
- Trim bushes and hedges to keep them neat and from blocking windows.
- Add some potted plants during spring and summer to the front porch.
- Powerwash the house but especially the front porch area.
- Check the exterior caulk and paint and improve as needed.
- Check the front door hardware to make sure it functions smoothly and is in good condition.
By now the your buyers have a really good feeling as they enter the house. Keep that good feeling going throughout the rest of the tour by ensuring the house is clean, really clean.
The small defects may be overlooked by buyers because there aren’t enough homes on the market but you still want the house to be clean. Carpets and floors should still be clean. Paint walls if needed or a least make sure they’re mark free.
More than likely unless the house is drastically overpriced you’ll get showings and offers. Just as in any market the better the house looks, and “feels”, the more excited buyers will be. The more excited buyers are the more money they’re willing to offer you.
Get More Money
While there may be a shortage of homes in a sellers market that doesn’t mean a seller should slack off. Buyers may be desperate but they will still pay more for a house that is in excellent condition. The more impressive a house is the more people will want it. That means more people making offers, big offers.
When getting your home ready to sell little things like sprucing up the kitchen by clearing everything off the counters make a big difference. Polish all the appliances and clear the refrigerator of notes, pictures, calendars and anything else. Make sure the cabinets are all clean and in good working order. The kitchen is a big deal.
The rest of the house, like the living room, dining room, bathrooms and bedrooms should all be, yes, clean, clutter free and in good repair.
- Make sure all doors are working smoothly.
- Repair any holes in the walls.
- Closets should not be crowded.
- All the toilets should flush properly and be clean.
- Check all plumbing under sinks for leaks.
- Pack up as much stuff as you can before the sale.
The big take away is don’t be tempted to take the easy way out by simply throwing your house on the market. Take the time to get it ready. Make more money. After all, that’s the reason you’re selling your home yourself. To save money. Might as well make some while you’re at it.